Aug 26, 2005
White Ribbon Movement
When we do so, we want to send this message to Mrs. Arroyo: FOR THE SAKE OF THE COUNTRY, RESIGN NOW!
White ribbons symbolize our longing for an end to the bleak Arroyo presidency and to all the lies that have come from her mouth, as well as those emanating from her asinine kampon.
Here's more on the White Ribbon Movement which I strongly support:
Despite repeated surveys showing the public’s lack of trust in the Arroyo presidency, and despite the numerous and wide cross-section of groups and personalities now calling on Mrs. Arroyo to step down from office, the President insists on holding on to power.
Under such a situation, we, the so-called “middle forces,” play a crucial role in tipping the balance towards a peaceful, orderly and democratic resolution of the stalemate.
In this light, we invite you to be part of the White Ribbon Movement a movement of concerned Filipinos calling for President Arroyo’s resignation in order for meaningful reforms to take place in our country.Convenors:
Sr. Mary John Mananzan, OSB
Bro. Edmundo Fernandez, FSC
Dr. Menguita Padilla, M.D., Rx Emergency: Resign Gloria NOW! and SINAG
Atty. Nasser Marohomsalic, Committee for the Defense of Liberty,
Marco de los Reyes, Chairperson, UP Student Council
Mike Pante, Editor-In-Chief, Matanglawin, Ateneo de Manila University
Who and what we are:
We are a movement of concerned Filipinos calling for the resignation of Pres. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo in order that meaningful and substantial reforms may take place in our beloved country.
The color white symbolizes our stand for truth, integrity, renewal, peace and hope – the very values and principles that the President has tainted and apparently forsaken.
The white ribbon symbolizes our call for Mrs. Arroyo to step down from the presidency.
What we believe in:
• President Arroyo's telephone conversations with COMELEC Commissioner Virgilio Garcillano are not a mere "lapse of judgment." Such acts, including her vague apology and attempts to cover-up the truth, constitute a betrayal of the public trust and are culpable violations of the Constitution and other laws of the land.
• The Arroyo presidency is now in serious question. Mrs. Arroyo has destroyed her own credibility beyond repair. She has lost the trust and confidence of our people; she no longer has any moral ascendancy to remain in power. She must step down for the good of the country.
• We are for a democratic, orderly and peaceful transition of power from Mrs. Arroyo to her successor. But a mere change in the presidency is not enough. The new government should have a definite program for political, economic and social reform focused on the upliftment of society's marginalized sectors.
• It is a fundamental principle that sovereignty resides in the people and all power emanates from them. The public should be allowed full use of their civil liberties, especially the right to free expression and to peaceful assembly, in order to wield their sovereign power.
What we vow to do:
• Conduct a massive information and education drive on the issues behind the political crisis through public fora, community and workplace meetings, mass media, the internet, SMS, ring tones and all other means available.
• Revive the true spirit of EDSA -- of people taking a common stand and working together to advance the nation's interest and the people's welfare. Thus we shall work for Mrs. Arroyo's resignation through our concerted actions. We shall use creative, peaceful and democratic forms of action, including popularizing the white ribbon as a symbol of the call for Mrs. Arroyo to step down.
• Support and participate in other initiatives that aim to ferret out the truth and facilitate Mrs. Arroyo's removal from office.
Links to this post:
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]